The Fund for American Studies (TFAS) mission is to develop courageous leaders inspired and equipped to protect and advance the ideas of individual liberty, personal responsibility, and economic freedom in their communities and throughout the world. TFAS offers transformational programs that teach the principles of limited government, free-market economics, and honorable leadership to students and young professionals in America and around the world. TFAS programs inspire these future leaders to make a difference in their communities and throughout the world by upholding the values essential to the preservation and success of a free society.
About the Role
The Fund for American Studies is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Journalism Program Officer to join their team. This person will be responsible for working on a caseload of campus publications to manage and grow TFAS’s Student Journalism Association by providing support to current campus publications, identifying students for new publications, and working with individual campus journalists. The ideal candidate will be passionate about promoting free press, have strong organizational skills, and possess a background in journalism or a related field. They will have the ability to travel approximately 40% to participate in on-campus outreach and other event opportunities. This is a full-time in-office position located in Washington, D.C.
- Manage a caseload of campus publications, providing training, mentorship, and resources to enhance their editorial and production processes, as well as monitoring their success and impact.
- Travel frequently to campuses to deliver training, workshops, and consultations to equip student journalists with essential skills and knowledge for successful publication management. Approximately 40%.
- Identify high-impact target campuses and execute recruitment campaigns to attract talented students for new publication initiatives while fostering relationships with campus stakeholders.
- Offer comprehensive resources, digital presence support, and guidance on meeting funding standards to help students establish and grow their new publications.
- Plan, execute, and manage events promoting journalism education and networking, handling logistics, budgeting, guest speakers, and fostering a supportive environment for attendees.
- Evaluate event outcomes and gather attendee feedback to inform future event planning and continuously improve the overall experience.
- Implement targeted recruitment campaigns for TFAS’s summer journalism internships and the Joseph Rago Fellowship, reaching out to relevant student publications and campus partners to attract highly-motivated and talented candidates.
- Solicit and evaluate grant applications from existing and new student publications
- Collaborate with other program officers, communications staff, and development teams to promote the organization’s mission and ensure the success of its journalism initiatives.
- Assist with the development of promotional materials, web content, and social media campaigns to showcase the work of student journalists and publications.
- Represent The Fund for American Studies at conferences, workshops, and other relevant events.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in journalism, communications, student recruitment, or campus engagement
- Experience running or writing for campus publications is a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of and passion for journalism ethics, principles, and best practices
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to travel for campus visits and events ~40%
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, social media platforms, and basic graphic design tools
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related field is preferred
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter (explaining why you are qualified for this position, your alignment with the organization’s mission, and your salary requirements)
- A writing sample of a press release, op-ed, or article you have written
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Outreach Specialist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.